Tuesday 29 August 2017

Footwear

Socks
I took six pairs of socks. Three were Quechua lightweight ankle socks. Three were wool (1 Quechua and two heavier Bridgedale ones). The latter were expensive but are starting to prove better value than cheaper ones. Still going strong after 5 years. 

I'd go with more wool and less lightweight ones next time. But I'm constrained by what I have for the bike trip. In an ideal world I'd keep two pairs dry for night time use (2x5 days and 4x3 day's for the others). All the others will get wet. You may or may not be able to dry then. Recommend double sealing used socks in zip lock bags and hope they don't escape before you can launder them. 

Shoes
I wore Salomon X-Ultra NON Goretex shoes with Superfeet green inner soles. These were fine for the conditions EXCEPT on the ice on the summit. That was a very short but rather sketchy section. Otherwise very good. 

That said, most people I saw wore boots. And probably had wetter feet for longer as a result. But they probably felt comfortable and secure in familiar footwear, so each to their own. The exceptions to this were the odd ultralight hiker and some mountain runners. They also used Salomons. 

I mostly did river crossings in bare feet unless I could easily rock hop across. The water was cold but frankly after Iceland it seemed pretty mild. That's the benefit of having one's comfort zone stretched a bit. Still it was way too cold to even consider bathing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment